Friday, January 06, 2006

Phishing or not? Consumer Reports subscription notice seems awfully fishy

If you received this e-mail from Consumer Reports, would you believe it was real?

Click for full-size image.

I was especially concerned when I looked at the From address:

consumerreports@cmet.cr-mail.org

And check out the Subject line:

Consumer Reports Urgent Account Information

Hmmm. All the hallmarks of a phishing attack:

  • Sent from an address different than you're used to for the sender.
  • Has the word "Urgent" in the Subject line.
  • Urges you to conduct a business transaction online -- Pay Now!



And when I checked the Whois database, I found the suspicious domain to be registered to Doubleclick.net.

So I have to confess: I still don't know if this is for real, or if it is phishing.