Saturday, February 03, 2007

Trafficking in domain names finally nets me a few dollars

Over the years I've registered a number of Internet domains hoping to cash in. One of the first was:

northwestsucks.com

I never expected Northwest Airlines to go bankrupt and its stock to fall to 50 cents a share. I thought they might offer me a couple thousand dollars or some frequent flier miles so they could take over the domain. Think about it; you can buy a round trip coach ticket, or you can own a few hundred shares of an airline.

At some point I expected NWA to send me a cease and desist letter, or maybe offer to buy northwestsucks.com and park on it. I never did much with the site, and NWA never called. (Memo to NWA: phone number upon request; please call on your dime.)

Other investments included firejohnlsmith.com, Michigan State's football coach who was fired (but who never called me) and granholmamendment.com, homage to Michigan's Canadian-born governor who, like Arnold Schwarzenegger, can't run for president unless we amend the US Constitution.

A few months ago someone offered me some sort of virtual credits if I'd donate zerofootprint.com to his cause -- as in zero carbon footprint, reducing global warming. I registered that domain years ago when I learned of the idea of a personal computer suitable for a call center cubicle -- you hang the PC on the wall and all that's on the desk is a flat panel LCD, a keyboard, and a mouse. Zero footprint, right? I give Mr. Zero Carbon Footprint credit but I don't accept virtual credits.

Now I have an offer from another person interested in the same cause of reducing greenhouse gasses, and he's actually offered me some money for the domain. He's not proposing to spend a lot, but it would pay for one night at a nice hotel.

So finally, after all these years, I will perhaps enjoy a minor windfall for my domain adventures. My net investment remains seriously negative.

So does anyone need granholmamendment.com or northwestsucks.com?