Monday, August 15, 2005

The City of New York

David Letterman likes to say "the town so nice, they named it twice."

New York, New York. (Cue Sinatra.)

New York City.

NYC.

But does anyone call it "the city of New York"???

While reviewing major university Web sites, I was surprised to see that Columbia University uses a name for NYC that I've never seen before:

Columbia University - In the city of New York

My guess is that the Columbia Web Committee debated "what should our tagline be" endlessly and came up with a phrase that no one -- whether native or elsewhere -- ever thinks or says when they think of New York City.

I bet they could have come up with a better tagline. Without even thinking more than a minute, I propose "Academic excellence in the heart of New York City"

No comments: